Byzantine Catholic Seminary of SS. Cyril and Methodius
BCS is a school of theology whose primary mission is to prepare candidates for priestly ministry to the Byzantine Catholic Churches of North America. The academic programs of the Seminary are open to qualified off-campus students whether lay or religious.
Founded in 1950, the Byzantine Catholic Seminary is governed by a Board of Directors, appointed by and under the direction of the Metropolitan Archbishop of Pittsburgh.
The Byzantine Catholic Seminary of Saints Cyril and Methodius responds to the evangelical mandate of Jesus Christ. Its primary purpose is the human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral formation of candidates for presbyteral ministry in the Eastern Catholic Churches. It also serves as a center of learning for the study of Eastern Christianity.
As the only free standing Byzantine Catholic Theological Seminary in North America, this center of learning embraces those seeking academic and pastoral formation to serve as deacons, theologians, catechists, and cantors. The Seminary also provides graduate level theological studies in the Eastern Christian Tradition to those interested in teaching, research and advanced study. The Seminary likewise supports other educational and formational programs to serve Byzantine Catholic Churches and the wider community.
On June 28, 1950, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania incorporated the nascent seminary and on July 5, 1950, Bishop Ivancho broke ground for the facility on Pittsburgh’s Observatory Hill. The seminary’s theological program was inaugurated on October 16, 1950, and the first seminarians were housed in the current Archbishop’s residence.
On April 22, 2003, the Seminary received from the Secretary of Education for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania the long-awaited authorization “to operate as a degree-granting Seminary” conferring the degrees of Master of Divinity (M.Div.) and Master of Arts in Theology (M.A.T.). In February 2008, The Association of Theological Schools of the United States and Canada granted full accreditation to the Seminary.
As the seminary ages, it continues to change to meet the needs of the Church. It looks to the future and its role as a Center of Learning, serving people of all faiths who wish to know more about the theology, spirituality and tradition of the Byzantine Catholic Church.
Byzantine Catholic Seminary
3605 Perrysville Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15214